Privacy Notice for the school Workforce
Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Privacy notice for the school workforce
including student teachers and long term agency staff who are members of staff
This notice explains what personal data (information) we hold about you, how we collect, how we use and may share information about you. We are required to give you this information under data protection law.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom), and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws.
Data Protection Officer (DPO)
As a public body we have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO): Alexander Banks
The personal information we collect and use:
In the course of employing staff in our school we collect the following personal information when you provide it to us:
- Personal information (such as name, address, contact details, employee, teacher number, national insurance number)
- Characteristics (such as gender, age, ethnic group)
- Contract information (such as start dates, hours worked, position, role/s and salary information)
- Work absence information (such as number of absences and reasons)
- Qualifications (and, where relevant, subjects taught)
- Relevant medical information
- Characteristics (such as ethnicity, religion, language, nationality)
- Photographs (for internal safeguarding and security purposes, school newsletters, media and promotional purposes).
- CCTV images
- Payment details (bank details such as account number, sort code, bank)
How we use your personal information
We use personal information to:
- Enable individuals to be paid
- Support pension payments and calculations
- Enable sickness monitoring
- Enable leave payments (such as sick pay and maternity leave)
- Develop a comprehensive picture of the workforce and how it is deployed
- Inform the development of recruitment and retention policies
- Inform financial audits of the school
- Fulfil our duty of care towards our staff
- Inform national workforce policy monitoring and development
Document retention period
We will hold your personal information for 6 years after the end of your employment at Wessex Gardens, in line with the ICO’s personnel retention record keeping guidelines.
Reasons we can collect and use your personal information:
We rely on having a legitimate reason as your employer to collect and use your personal information, to comply with our statutory obligations, and to carry out tasks in the public interest. If we need to collect special category (sensitive) personal information, we rely upon reasons of substantial public interest (equality of opportunity or treatment).
We are required to share information about our workforce members under section 5 of the Education (Supply of Information about the School Workforce) (England) Regulations 2007 and amendments.
Who we share your personal information with:
- The local authority
- The Department for Education (DfE)
- Suppliers and service providers – to enable them to provide the contracted service
- Financial organisations
- Central and local government
- Internal auditors
- Survey and research organisations
- Health authorities
- Security organisations
- Health and social welfare organisations
- Professional advisers and consultants
- Charities and voluntary organisations
- Professional bodies
- New, or prospective, employers
We will share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law.
The DfE collects and processes personal data relating to those employed by schools and local authorities that work in state funded schools (including all maintained schools, all academies and free schools and all special schools including Pupil Referral Units and Alternative Provision). All state funded schools are required to make a census submission because it is a statutory return under sections 113 and 114 of the Education Act 2005.
The DfE may share information about school employees with third parties who promote the education or well-being of children or the effective deployment of school staff in England by:
- conducting research or analysis
- producing statistics
- providing information, advice or guidance
The DfE has robust processes in place to ensure the confidentiality of our data is maintained and there are stringent controls in place regarding access and use of the data. Decisions on whether DfE releases data to third parties are subject to a strict approval process and based on a detailed assessment of:
- who is requesting the data
- the purpose for which it is required
- the level and sensitivity of data requested: and
- the arrangements in place to store and handle the data
To be granted access to school workforce information, organisations must comply with its strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of the data, security arrangements and retention and use of the data.
Under the GDPR you have rights which you can exercise free of charge which allow you to:
- Know what we are doing with your information and why we are doing it
- Ask to see what information we hold about you (Subject Access Requests)
- Ask us to correct any mistakes in the information we hold about you
- Object to direct marketing
- Make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office
- Withdraw consent (if applicable)
Depending on our reason for using your information you may also be entitled to:
- Ask us to delete information we hold about you
- Have your information transferred electronically to yourself or to another organisation
- Object to decisions being made that significantly affect you
- Object to how we are using your information
- Stop us using your information in certain ways
We will always seek to comply with your request, however, we may be required to hold or use your information to comply with legal duties. Please note: your request may delay or prevent us delivering a service to you.
For further information about your rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, see the guidance from the UK Information Commissioners Office (ICO) on individuals’ rights under the General Data Protection Regulation.
If you would like to exercise a right, please contact the school’s DPO, Alexander Banks
Keeping your personal information secure:
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
Who to Contact and Where to go for Further Information:
Please contact our DPO, Alexander Banks, at DPO@wessexgardens.barnet.sch.uk , to exercise any of your rights, or if you have a complaint about why your information has been collected, how it has been used or how long we have kept it for.
If you would like to get a copy of the information about you that Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School shares with the DfE or how they use your information, please contact the DPO at DPO@wessexgardens.barnet.sch.uk
The General Data Protection Regulation also gives you right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner who may be contacted at https://ico.org.uk/concerns or telephone 03031 231113.
For further information visit https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/privacy-notices-transparency-and-control/
For further information about how the Department for Education uses your information:
To find out more about the staff information we share with the DfE, for the purpose of data collections, go to https://www.gov.uk/education/school-workforce-censuses
For more information about the DfE’s data sharing process, please visit:
For information about which organisations the department has provided pupil information, (and for which project), please visit the following website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-pupil-database-requests-received
To contact the DfE: https://www.gov.uk/contact-dfe
I, _________________________________________, declare that I understand:
- Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School has a legal and legitimate interest to collect and process my personal data in order to meet statutory and contractual requirements.
- There may be significant consequences if I fail to provide the personal data Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School requires.
- Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School may share my data with the LA, and subsequently the DfE.
- Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School will not share my data to any other third parties without my consent, unless the law requires the school to do so.
- The nature and personal categories of this data, and where the personal data originates from, where my data is obtained from third parties.
- My data is retained in line with Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School’s Records Management Policy.
- My rights to the processing of my personal data.
- I give consent for Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School to share my data with organisations, services and suppliers for the purposes listed in the ‘Who we share your personal information with’ section above.
Name of staff member:
Signature of staff member: