Safer Recruitment Statement and policies
Recruitment of staff at Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School:
Wessex Gardens Primary and Nursery School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We recognise that all staff, including volunteers, have a full and active part to play in protecting our children from harm. A key factor in this is ensuring we have a safe recruitment and selection process.
The main components include:
- at every stage of the recruitment process the school’s commitment to child protection procedures is stated;
- the job description refers to the school’s responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children;
- the person specification includes specific reference to suitability to work with children obtaining and scrutinising comprehensive information from applicants, and taking up and satisfactorily resolving any discrepancies or anomalies;
- we obtain two independent professional and character references that answer specific questions to help assess an applicant’s suitability to work with children and follow up on any concerns;
- we have a face to face interview and tasks that explore the candidate’s suitability to work with children as well as his/her suitability for the position;
- we verify the successful applicant’s identity
- we check that she/he has the academic or vocational qualifications stated on the application form
- we check that his/her previous employment history and experience includes any periods of non-employment;
- we verify that she/he has the health and physical capacity for the job;
- we carry out the mandatory check of the Children’s Barred List (formerly List 99) and a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS clearance).